The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) Public Transportation Division is seeking experienced planner, strategic thinker with background expertise in the public transportation field to fill the position of Business Analyst & Planner in Olympia, WA. The successful incumbent will be responsible for completing complex transportation and planning analysis to identify and explore new innovative ways to prevents delays, overruns, and scope changes. You will work with transit providers statewide to ensure alignment between their efforts and the statewide public transportation plans. You will lead fiscal related activities across the Public Transportation Division and analyze federal and state legislation to ensure projects are managed in compliance with dynamic legal regulations. You will also serve as an administrator for the Public Transportation Grant Management System.
If you feel you have the experience and professional expertise to make an impact in this role, we encourage you to apply!
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
* Perform professional transportation planning assignments, identify, and implement updates to the State Transportation Improvement Plan while ensuring feasibility and proper representation of projects in the plan.
* Leverage specialized expertise and experience in finance, federal programs administration, and public policy and transportation.
* Work with staff to develop the final funded list and other activities to ensure consistency and compliance.
* Shadow the vendor during the development of the system, learn how to configure the system and address technical Issues when required.
* Facilitate discussions on configuration decisions, oversee system upgrade, and work with the vendor to determine impact of upcoming upgrades, lead or be a key contributor on testing efforts for upgrades.
* Administer the system, assists customers directly or through the vendor, and work with vendors on testing, and system improvements.
* Lead training for users within WSDOT and Transit Agencies statewide.
* Engage subject matter experts to learn grants processes and how they impact the Grants Management System.
* Independently review and develop contracts and amendments, ensure timely execution and setup in the accounting system.
* Support and lead fiscal related activities and processes across the Public Transportation Division (PTD).
* Create financial reports to help monitor the program at the sub program/activity level to prevent inconsistencies and overruns.
* Oversee federal grant related required audit reports.
* Obtain and maintain copies of the single audit reports for grantees with over $750k in expenditures within the required time.
* Obtain SEFA for grantees with total federal expenditures less than $750k.
* Coordinate with community liaisons and provide necessary information when discussing planning and system performance with sub recipients.
The requirements for this position are:
* Extensive knowledge of Public Transportation including planning, fiscal, asset management, compliance and oversight efforts.
* Experience in understanding state and federal regulations and requirements when reviewing and reporting on the different public transportation grant programs.
* Ability to support and administer a complex grant management system including configuration and training.
* Ability to analyze enacted state budgets and federal acts and incorporate changes, new rules and regulations into existing processes and procedures.
* Ability to communicate clearly with the different groups within PTD, budget office, accounting, contracting office, FTA, DES and others.
* Ability to develop contracts and amendments, run reports, and provide updated status on contracts and agreements.
* Experience performing complex multidimensional tasks on the computer using MS Word, Excel, and the ability to use database programs, and electronic mail.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
* A Bachelor's degree involving major study in transportation, or urban, regional or land use planning, engineering, public or business administration, or economics and three years' professional transportation experience involving analysis and evaluation of transportation issues and problems. A Master's degree in one of the above fields will substitute for one year of the required experience.
* One year as a Transportation Planning Specialist 2, Transportation Engineer 2, Landscape Designer 2, or equivalent classification in city or county agencies.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the large \"apply\" button at the top of this announcement. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions as well as attach a cover letter and resume. Your cover letter should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Erik Lunke at ...@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-HQ-03302.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit
Associated topics: analyze, bi, consult, examiner, financial analytic, forecasting, law, refine, refinement, regulation